Does Vinegar Kill Mould?

Thursday 8th June 2023

Joanna Grimbley-Smith

No comments, yet!

Someone wiping down mouldy window CONTENTS



Although vinegar is one of the most popular cleaning agents, it is not recommended that you use it to remove mould. It can be ineffective, damage your property, and may even put your health at risk. Instead, you should leave mould remediation to professional cleaners.

At ICE Cleaning, our Dewpoint-accredited technicians offer rapid and thorough mould removal services. They can get rid of visible spores on surfaces and in the air and ensure your mould problem is eliminated. We can provide our services wherever you are in the UK, day and night, 365 days a year.

Keep reading to find out why you should never try cleaning mould with white vinegar, and what you should do when you spot it growing in your home.

Can vinegar remove mould?

Vinegar is an aqueous solution that consists of acetic acid and other compounds. Acetic acid is a strong acid that can stop fungi and other microorganisms growing, so vinegar is therefore antifungal and antibacterial.

As mould is a fungal growth, vinegar will kill it. However, it is not considered an effective solution to removing and preventing mould.

Firstly, it can just tackle mould on surfaces and can’t kill airborne spores. According to some research, vinegar will also only prevent mould growth on fruit and remove some household moulds. Several types of mould, like aspergillus fumigatus, can evade treatment and continue to grow.

Why you must not attempt mould removal with vinegar

Although white distilled vinegar is non-toxic, its acidic nature means it could damage lots of surfaces in your home including:

  • Concrete: vinegar can damage the cement that holds the concrete together
  • Leather: it can damage the fibres and cause excessive drying, resulting in cracks
  • Stone: vinegar could dull and etch stone, like marble countertops
  • Wood: most types of wooden flooring have a protective finish that vinegar might break down

Should you use the vinegar incorrectly, such as mixing it with another cleaning chemical, you could create a harmful substance.

When mixed with bleach, it can create toxic chlorine gas which is corrosive to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Or, if you mix vinegar with hydrogen peroxide, it produces peracetic acid which can result in similar health problems.

The dangers of remediating mould yourself

Mould is very hazardous to be exposed to. It can produce allergens, irritants, and sometimes toxic substances. Inhaling or ingesting mould spores can trigger an allergic reaction, like a skin rash or sneezing, among more serious health problems.

Certain groups may experience more severe effects, like people with asthma, mould allergies, pre-existing respiratory problems, and weakened immune systems.

Cleaning mould without personal protective equipment (PPE) puts your health at risk, too. You will be in much closer contact with the spores which increases the chances of you ingesting or inhaling them.

Cleaning mould also tends to aggravate it. When disturbed, the spores can float in the area, travel to other parts of your home, and start growing there. You could easily inhale these disturbed spores, as well.

You probably will not tackle all of the mould effectively, either, and it could regrow soon after treatment. The small patches of mould you find around your home are usually the tip of iceberg. It could have started in concealed areas like ducts or crawl spaces that you might not think to inspect.

Why only professionals should remediate mould

Cleaners will wear full PPE while cleaning the mould to can safely tackle the problem. They will also have the specialist products and equipment to get rid of all traces of the mould.

They will be able to diagnose the root cause of the mould, too, whether that be damp, a leak, or condensation. This means you can have the problem repaired and be sure the mould will not return. Cleaners could even advise on how to prevent it to keep the affected area and your home mould-free.

Professional mould cleaners can identify all the mould in your home, as well, to ensure they don't leave any behind. They can identify growth in difficult to reach areas, giving you peace of mind that all the mould is removed.

Get in touch

Every mould removal service comes with a lifetime guarantee* to keep your property stay safe in the long term. If it’s an emergency, our fully trained technicians can be on site in a matter of hours.

To book our technicians for mould remediation, contact our friendly team on 0208 066 0360 or at

*subject to advisories

Zoe Dunning

Zoe Dunning

Sales Representative

Add to contacts

Speak with me today,
I’m here to help

By asking you a few questions either via phone or email I can immediately provide a realistic estimation of the cost.

You’re in good company. We’ve cleaned for the following commercial clients… View all

Customer reviews

Our happy customers have rated our service as
Excellent on Trustpilot.

View All Reviews

Why choose us

Why choose us?

  • Cater to a wide variety of cleaning situations
  • Nationwide coverage, available 24/7
  • Cater to commercial and domestic clients
  • Free survey provided prior to quotation 
  • Emergency response team
  • Offer a bespoke service designed to suit all your needs 
  • All technicians hold professional health and safety qualifications, including BICSc, IOSH, Dewpoint Professional & Safe Contractor 

We’re fully accredited

We place best practise, professional expertise and health and safety at the core of our business. We’re fully compliant with all legal obligations. You can view a list of our accreditations below, or visit our Health & Safety page for more information.

Dewpoint® Professional Corporate Membership
0208 066 0360Open 24/7

We use cookies

If you continue without changing your settings we'll assume you're happy to receive our cookies.
If you'd like to change this just update your browser settings. Find out more.

Okay. I got it.