Who Is Liable For Repairing Flood Damage In A Rented Property?

Thursday 24th February 2022

Alice Redshaw

No comments, yet!


If you experience flooding in your rental property, you may not know who to turn to or what your responsibilities are.

There are many things to think about in these circumstances, among which might be where you're going to live if the flood damage to your property is serious, or what you should do about paying your rent.

Have a read of our blog to find out what obligations the landlord has when dealing with flood damage, as well as what you should do in the event that you are affected by flooding. 

What are the main causes of floods?

As the UK sees a lot of rainfall, it is unsurprising that flood damage often follows. Though areas prone to flooding are likely to see more deluges, this is not to say that other locations in the country will not also suffer.

Causes of flooding can be numerous, but some of the principal reasons for flooding are shown below.

An infographic showing the 6 main types of flood

Who is responsible for dealing with flood damage?

In most cases, it is the responsibility of your landlord when flooding has occurred. This is not the situation if the damage was caused by the tenant’s carelessness, however.

By law, landlord’s have certain obligations they must meet. This is set out in Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, which states that:

  • The construction and exterior of the building must be kept in repair.
  • A landlord needs to fix any damages that they have been informed of.
  • The landlord needs to keep all utilities in working order and supplied to the tenant during their occupancy.

These repairs could include painting damaged walls, replacing equipment that no longer works, or installing a new carpet where necessary. Be sure to read your tenancy agreement to see whether there are any other added obligations your landlord needs to adhere to.

If the damage that occurs is your fault, then you will not be liable for help from your landlord. This could be the result of not turning the taps off after usage, or causing a leak by breaking an appliance.

What to consider if you're impacted by a flood

Flooding can often strike suddenly, and quickly cause damage to your property. It may be difficult to know what to do if this happens in a rental home, and what your responsibilities are.

We've put together some things you will need to think about if your home has been harmed, which may involve moving out of the property while flood damage cleaning is undertaken.

Do I have to pay rent if my property floods?

Usually your landlord will hold insurance to cover the cost of rent in cases of flooding. You should ask them if they have this cover, as it could save you a lot of money.

However, if this is not the case, you should attempt to come to an agreement with your landlord about the best way forward for your situation. This may include halting rent payments until the property is back to its original condition, or using this money towards temporary accommodation if this is what you require.

Having an open dialogue with your landlord will make the process a little less overwhelming. It is advised that you keep an open flow of communication with them and do not throw away any correspondence should any issues arise.

Will my landlord replace my damaged belongings?

No, your landlord is not responsible for replacing your belongings that have been damaged, unless these were supplied in the tenancy. In any property, it is always a good idea to take out contents insurance so you are protected if something does happen to your possessions.

In some instances, you may be able to receive help from a local assistance fund. Shelter have provided some useful information about what this can cover, as well as where you can apply for help.

What should I do if I have to move out?

When flooding is too severe for you to remain in your property, you might need to find temporary accommodation or move in with family or friends.

If you do find yourself in this situation, you must let your landlord know that the property is not fit for occupation. Before you move out, the landlord should give you the following information:

  • A timeframe of when the renovations will be completed.
  • That you will be returning to the property on the same condition as what is stipulated in your tenancy agreement.

However, your landlord is under no obligation to pay for your temporary accommodation. It is your responsibility to organise somewhere to live until you can move back into the property.

We would always recommend being careful in these situations and make sure you follow all procedures, as you do not wish to find yourself in a tough situation with your landlord.

Our flood damage cleaning services

We offer thorough flood damage restoration solutions for all our clients. We strongly recommend not attempting to deal with the water damage yourself without professional help, as you could end up making the situation worse or compromising your health.

It can often be difficult to prove fault in the event of a flood, so we perform a number of structural tests to establish any physical evidence present. On your behalf, we are happy to contact your loss adjuster with evidence from the job for your insurance claim.

In emergencies, our technicians can be on site in just an hour to begin work. Our experts also hold an IPAF license, which gives them the ability to work safely at height. 

Mould remediation

Here at ICE Cleaning, we are mould removal specialists. Our skilled teams have years of experience in removing fungus from buildings, both for domestic and commercial clients.

As a result of flooding, mould can often occur. To prevent any further damage being done to your home, give our professionals a call to tackle the problem.

Why not add a complimentary application of our innovative ICE SHIELD® solution to your clean? This works by combining fogging technology with a persistent solution and kills 99.9% of harmful bacteria and viruses for a period of up to 28 days.

Flood prevention measures

As a private landlord, it is wise to have contingencies in place should water damage occur. It will make the process for both tenant and landlord more smooth if any repairs are necessary.

This could include having the correct insurance coverage for the type of property they have, or making adjustments to the building to make it stronger against storms. Speak with your landlord about this to see what measures they have in place.

Contact us today

Get in touch with our team on 0208 066 0360 or enquiries@icecleaning.co.uk to find out more about the flood damage restoration services we offer.

A member of our friendly team will be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have - we're always on hand to help.

Zoe Dunning

Zoe Dunning

Sales Representative

Add to contacts

Speak with me today,
I’m here to help

By asking you a few questions either via phone or email I can immediately provide a realistic estimation of the cost.

You’re in good company. We’ve cleaned for the following commercial clients… View all

Customer reviews

Our happy customers have rated our service as
Excellent on Trustpilot.

View All Reviews

Why choose us

Why choose us?

  • Cater to a wide variety of cleaning situations
  • Nationwide coverage, available 24/7
  • Cater to commercial and domestic clients
  • Free survey provided prior to quotation 
  • Emergency response team
  • Offer a bespoke service designed to suit all your needs 
  • All technicians hold professional health and safety qualifications, including BICSc, IOSH, Dewpoint Professional & Safe Contractor 

We’re fully accredited

We place best practise, professional expertise and health and safety at the core of our business. We’re fully compliant with all legal obligations. You can view a list of our accreditations below, or visit our Health & Safety page for more information.

Dewpoint® Professional Corporate Membership
0208 066 0360Open 24/7

We use cookies

If you continue without changing your settings we'll assume you're happy to receive our cookies.
If you'd like to change this just update your browser settings. Find out more.

Okay. I got it.